OPA Newsletter January 1993



    New Series No. 63

Jan 1993



New Series No 63 January 1993

Officers and Committee 1992-93

President: R C Colman Ivy House, Great Mongeham, Deal

Vice-President: B D Crush 39 Eythome Road, Shepherdswell, Dover. CT15 7PG

Past President: W R Fittall 55 West Hill Road, London.SWl8 lLE

Secretary: P J Harding 6 Chestnut Road, Elms Yale, Dover. CT17 9PY

Assistant C J Henry Secretary: 40 CrabbleRoad, River, Dover. CT17 OQE

Treasurer: I D Paseall Karibu, 45A Bewsbury Cross Lane, Whitfield, Dover.

Membership R Gabriel Secretary: 229 St Richards ~oad, Deal. CT14 9LF

Newsletter K H Ruffell Editor: 193 The Gateway, Dover. CT16 1 LL

Archivist: S J Wen born

Committee: M J Palmer P J Burville M H Smith R W Winter T Sulton

Auditor: A G Stone

Head Teacher: N A Slater

Staff D Murray Representatives: S Callacher M R Grant

Head Prefect: K Goodwin


President's letter The Annual General Meeting Soccer match, School v Old Boys Annual Reunion Dinner Committee meeting, 19Lh November


Review of Lhe present and future of the school Wanting to be a monk - KenneLh Newing Dover's Archaeological Discoveries - K Parfitt A referee reminisces - David Elleray Sixty years on - Frank West


Junior Prize!,riving Concert of sacred music Diamond Jubilee Organ recital Drama School soccer Guest Evening


Obituaries OLher Old Boys Correspondence George Curry and The World of Charles Dickens


Archive Data-base Christmas Concer1 Carol Service Final Assembly at end of the Christmas Term Editor's thoughts in mid-December on Lhe Present and Future of the School.
Financial statement Places gained at universities

Dear Fellow Old Pharosians,

Greetings and thank you for your welcome support throughout this year. I was much honoured to be elected for a second term but I suspect that this was partly because it is felt that I might know, at first hand, the people who will determine the immediate future of our school.

I am, indeed, much moved about the rumours and messages which abound. We shall need clear heads and much resolution to make evident our determination to preserve what is best. It takes a long time to build up a tradition of good learning and sound sportsmanship and this can be irreparably damaged by one false move.

We fought and won the battle to avoid a move to the side of Castlemount. The games facilities there were non existent and the money available for refurbishment pitiful.
Now a yet more alarming proposition has emerged, that we should combine with our oversized neighbour Astor High School which used to be called a Secondary Modem. Such a merger would produce an ungainly monster in which our standards would be seriously diluted. Over so many years, to the present day our boys have enjoyed an atmosphere of academic excellence, the demands of which have been happily accepted by all. Combination with a School which has not an academic Sixth Form would be disastrous.

Even more important, our school has a tradition of involvement in games and societies second to none. This is what turns boys into men. It requires a committed staff and good facilities. It is blatantly obvious that such a tradition could not be maintained wh,en adding a further] 400 boys and girls to our limited site. Astor High School has no such tradition and the playing fields are very limited and only on the other side of the road.

We must oppose such proposals with the utmost vigour.

I trust that the Old Boys will keep closely in touch and press for a Green Field site or at least a detailed consideration of Old Park Barracks.

Do respond vigorously!

With best wishes,

Reg Colman.


Ken Ruffell, editor, reported that the "in house" production, now increased to 700 copies each of many pages, was causing difficulties that needed simplification. He proposed that after the school secretary had word-processed and paged the material it should go directly to a Folkestone School that had the necessary equipment to give the Newsletter a more professional appearance, with much less continuity work by the editor, at an additional cost of only £30 per edition. The matter was set aside until Neil Slater and Denis Weaver had examined possibilities and discussed them with the editor.


President: Mr R C Colman has agreed to continue in office for 1992 - 93.

Vice-president: the committee proposed and the meeting agreed that Mr Barry Crush should be Vice-president. He is a life member of the Association, a parent and a governor. A list of the officers of the Association is printed at the be!,rinning of this Newsletter.



Peter Burville reported continued good work in the school's computer department where, assisted by Mr Peter Dale, there might be at times three pairs of men involved in the work. He named Vic Alcock, John Borren and John Maslen as helpers to himself and Sid Wenbom.


Mr Neil Slater spoke at length on this subject. Owing to its importance and great interest and because changes are ever-present this subject is dealt with elsewhere in the Newsletter.


Barry Crush spoke as a governor, reporting that all their deliberations were dominated by finance. .

William Final!, now a Principal Private Secretary in a government department, spoke of the tight control on public expenditure. He could see that the 6th Form cooperation with the Girls School could run on for many years in our present buildings.

Denis Weaver said that Grant Maintained status was no longer as favourable financially as in its early days.

SCHOOL GUEST EVENING will be on 20th November. The OP Committee will meet on the previous evening 19th November at 7 pm. The AGM closed at 12.50 pm.

School v Old Bors Soccer Match 19th September 1992

This season's match proved to be one of the most closely fought and entertaining encounters in this fixture for many years. In a game of wildly fluctuating fortunes the Old Boys took an early 3-0 lead but the school fought back strongly and themselves went in front 4-3 in the second half only for the Old Boys to regain the lead at 5-4.
However in the last minute of the game the school equalised with a penalty-kick to earn themselves a share of the Andrew Kremer Memorial Cup. It was perhaps fitting that after such a game there should be no losers.

The Old Boys were represented by:Dave Palmer, Chris King, Neil Beverton, Simon Jones, lan Black, Steve Thompson, Stuart Edwards, Paul Price, Steve Price, Jeff Vane, Dave Fielding, Glenn Elliott and Warren Parfitt.

Another Old Boy whose performance contributed much to an enjoyable game was recent schoolleaver Andy Sones, who deputized at short notice as referee in the absence of Phil Harding, who has been the regular official in this game for a number of years.


The usual pleasing number of Old Pharosians, many with their ladies, enjoyed a pleasant evening together. Some had come from London to make a week-end visit to once-familiar ground: and Dr and Mrs Ewell came from the Isle of Wight and were present next morning in St. Mary's church.
The menu was well chosen and well served: and after the meal the loyal toast was proposed by the head prefect. President Reg Colman is in his element on these occasions. He takes the opportunity to thank those who keep the association's wheels turning: and he graciously paid due reference to Mrs Turnpenny, oldest of "old boys" who comes every year with her son and enjoys conversational meetings with her many friends.

The toast of the school was honoured and in reply Mr Neil Slater told of the school's emergence from the difficulties of recent years. Much that he said was re-assuring:
numbers of boys entering the school were above expectation and there was no longer any need to ask any teacher to take redundancy.

Sixth form cooperation with the girls school was proving a totally successful experience, enabling students to have a wider choice of su bjects than could be provided in either single school. We now have our own library: games have survived a difficult period: restoration work on the pavilion had been helpful: drama is closely linked and enriched by sharing with the f,rirls school.

Mr Slater said he was ever grateful for Old Pharosian support and he had very much enjoyed meeting members at the London reunion. By 10.30 the company was dispersing but not everyone had ended conversation with friends of times past: and everyone must feel grateful to Maurice Smith who does so much to mair1tain the standard of this annual dinner.


The President and ten members attended, including three members of the teaching staff and the head prefect. Neil Slater and Barry Crush were both at a Governors meeting;
Philip Harding sent his apolof,ries.

President raised the matter of reorganisation of Association Finances which had been under review by a sub-commi ttee. Eventually a fiilal summ ary of what had been agreed at AGM was read by the treasurer and agreed by this meeting.

Treasurer reported balances at Lloyds bank of £320 and £5370 at Woolwich Building Society. Interest of about £350 could be expected in December. Treasurer reported that Lloyds Bank was threatening to charge 30p per entry: but this would be reduced to lOpifourbalance exceeded £5000. The varied aspects of the matter were discussed and decision was made to assemble all our assel<; in Lloyds.

Newsletter editor reported that after the AGM Denis Weaver had been very helpful in giving advice from his experience as printer and publisher to improve the appearance of Newsletter. Edi tor reported that he had gone to Channel High School in Folkestone where there was a very professional experience and worl<.shop. Ifwe could supply our material on disk and on pages by 5th January they would produce our 720 copies by 15th January at a cost of £100.

Archivists reported that Mr Peter Dale was being very helpful to their work. The Old Pharosian Newsletters were being stored on a data base, possibly by a 6th form computer student. Reference was made to the governors' meeting proceeding at the same time as our meeting to discuss the future of the school. Members of staff present at our meeting thought the staff were pleased with present relationship with the girls grammar school. But the teaching staff at that school retained reservations.

The next meeting was fixed forThursday 18th March: and the next AGM for Saturday, 18th September.

EDITORIAL PRESENT AND FUTURE OF THE SCHOOL Report by Mr NeiL Slater at the AGM: 19th OctOber 1992

The governors continue to favour merging the two grammar schools on a greenfield site along the Whitfield by-pass. This recommendation had been conveyed via County to the Secretary of State. The reply from Mr Pattern was "Can not the merger be done more cheaply?"

The girls school at this time were being very cooperative so that an sixth form programmes were shared by boys and gi rls, the transfer by buses being very effective, the cost being paid by local authority.

Advanced level exams showed good results for boys and girls. On the boys' side there were four admissions to Oxford. After successes at the GCSE level 88 boys had stayed on and joined the 6th Form.

The offer of membership of the Association for the next five years at a cost of £5 had been accepted gladly by 14 boys.

The decline in numbers of boys in the school over recent years had been reversed and the total was now at least 500. New boys in the first year numbered 73, one of them from Lillc. Increased numbers, particularly in the sixth form, made more fllnds available. There had been a net reduction of two members of staff.

Restoration of the cricket pavilion as a memoriallO those who fell in the last war has been accomplished. A new metal rooC-ofpleasing appearance has been the final stage of a, lot of work that has brought wha't had been ugly and disused into a building that is now pleasant and m uch used.

The school again had its own library after sharing with Astor School in their building. In ourown building the room that had originally been the library and had for many years become the staff room was now again to be filled with 4500 books.


Kenneth Newing (1931-40) was ordained in 1955 after eight years in the arm y. In the Plymouth area he was successively rector, archdeacon and a very busy and much loved bishop until he resigned in 1987 to become a monk. The article below was written while he was staying at a sister abbey in Michigan and we are grateful for his kind permission to print his story.

For as long as I can remem bel', I have wanted to be a monk. But it took me until age 65 to get there, and people have asked. "Why so long?" The answer is probabl y a com bination ofseveml factors: lack of motivation, lack of courage, and lack of will. Though I recognize now that ordination and profession are separate facets of the Christian calling, I had always hoped that it would always be my privilege to attain both.
The challenge of ordination came first, during war time evacuation. In June 1940, my school, the Boys'Grammar School, stall and pupils, had been moved from Dover to Ebbw Yale in South Wales. My great school friend and I decided from the first Sunday there that we would attend S. John's Church. We liked the ceremonial, and the Eucharist was the main service, Sunday by Sunday and day by day. I should add that we were both choristers at onc of the churches at home. The Yicarof S. John's, Fr. OliveI' Oavis, was a good pastor and was quick off the mark. Would we like to serve at the Altar? Bertram and I eagerly agreed, were duly initiated,andwereexpectedtoserveata weekday.
mass as well as on Sundays. My foster family, staunch chapel-going folk and with whom I am still in touch, were not a little mystified at this going to church on a weekday, and in the early morning, before school! In due course, the good Father Oavis challenged me about my career.

What was I hoping to do with my life? When I haltingly spluttered something about wondering about ordination, his reply was characteristically forceful. If you want to be a priest, then say so. And so I did, but still not openly; the matter had been raised at home, and did NOT find favour. Full stop. End of story.
But after nearly eight years of conscript service in the Army, including the Normandy invasion, I was posted to the War Office in London. There I had the opportunity to make occasional calls on the authorities in Church House. A secretary of the Ordination Candidates' Directorate, as it was then called, himself a former naval chaplain and destined to become a bishop, finally lost patience with me and my lack of decision. "You should resign from the Bl-dy Army." And so I did. That very day.
I had earlier extended my service in the Army in order, so I said, to save money to pay for college training. The whole truth was that I was putting off demobilisation because I was too scared to say openly that I hoped to be ordained.
Then followed six years of study at S. Augustine's College Canterbury, Selwyn College Cambridge and the College of the Resurrection at Mirfield in Yorkshire. In my early days as a student, I made my first visit to the Benedictines at Nashdom Abbey, and felt that I had arrived. One of the monks, who was about to be ordained priest, invited me to his first Mass, a day not to be forgoLLen - 3rd October 1949. I applied to Oblate Master, became a novice oblate and in due course made my life profession as an oblate. I then approached Abbot Augustine about joining the community. He wisely counselled, "Get your degree first, and then some experience in a parish." Two parishes, and a variety of hats - curate, rector, rural dean, archdeacon, bishop and thirty or so years later, all the time wanting to be a monk, and perhaps not wanting enough, I woke up to realize that I might be too old. Had I left it too late? Had I anything to offer? Would they have me? More to the point, would they keep me? Suppose there was no vocation after all? I approached Abbot Godfrey, who having weighty matters on his mind - such as moving the community from Nashdom after 61 years - said No.
They certainly could not be doing with having a novice on their hands at such a time as that.
That was a Christmas 1986, and I was devastated. When I acknowledged the abbot's leLLer, I asked him to bear with me when I should ask again. I did ask again and, wonderful to relate, he, along with Abbot Basil (he was then the Novice Master), said Yes. I walked on air. I resigned my appointment as Suffragan Bishop of Plymouth in the Diocese of Exeter, disposed of the clutter of the years, and arrived at Elmore on April 3O, 1988 at, asS. Benedictcallsit, a school of the Lord's service, where I discover practically every day that it's never too late to learn.
Dom Kenneth OSB

Keith Parfitt (1973-75) came into the school's 6th form and successfully took some '0' levels before gaining Advanced levels in Geography and Ancient History, both at grade B. He was already an enthusiast in maLLers archaeological so he gained anpther grade B in geology. Technical drawing was another subject that would be valuable to his main interest; to follow which he went to CardiffUniversity, ending with a 2nd class honours in Archaeology.
He has been working as Site Supervisor for the Roman Painted House in Dover and is a member of the Kent Archaeological Unit in Dover.

THE DISCOVERY OF THE DOVER BRONZE AGE BOAT There can be few coastal towns in southern Britain that surpass the ancient Cinque Port of Dover in historical importance. The proximity of this settlement to the Continent and its location beside the River Dour within the only significant gap in many kilometres of continuous chalk cliffs has ensured its standing as a highlyimportant port for centuries.
During 1991, the construction of a major new road, in the form of the A20, combined with extensive deep excavations for the replacement of much of the town's Victorian sewer system posed a major threat to the buried archaeology. The new road and its related works required large-scale earth-moving and excavations along much of Dover's seaward side, culling through most of the maritime quarters of the old town.
These key areas of ancient Dover have received liLLlc archaeological attention in the past and the new construction work has provided a splendid opportunity to examine these regions in detail.
Funded by English Heritage, the Canterbury Archaeological Trust (CAT.) was engaged to work on the project in June 1991. A small, mobile team from the Trust has now been busy in Dover for well over a year, conducting both formal excavations and watching briefs along a corridor some two kilometres in length and up to half a kilometre in width. Additionally, pal eo-environmental studies have been undertaken by the Geoarchaeological Service Facility (G.S.F.) at the Institute of Archaeology, University College, London. This work has involved the extensive use of bore-hole information and first alerted the team to the presence of tufas and peats of likely prehistoric date lying at depth beneath Dover's town centre.
Field-work has been concerned with archaeological and pal eo-environmental remains widely distributed in both time and space, with sites ranging in date from the prehistoric period (circa 1O,(X)0 years B.P.) to the Second World War being recorded.
A broad sequence of archaeolo!,rical evidence relating to the Medieval and postMedieval town had been studied by the end of the summer of 1992 and the fieldwork phase of the operation appeared to be coming to a close, when a highly exciting find was revealed by contractors working on a new underpass.

At lunch-time on Monday 28th September, (the 345th day of continuous fieldwork by CAT.) a team member spotted a group of substantial timbers in the bottom ofa deep contractor's pit at the junction of Bench Street and Townwall Street, some 6 metres below ground level and just below Ordnance Datum. A rapid inspection indicated that these timbers formed part of a boat; moreover, the use of twisted withies within its construction, and the associated tufa and peats, suggested that the vessel could be prehistoric. Following a meeting with the consulting engineers, Mott Macdonald, and their main contractor, Norwest HoIst, the remainder of the day was allowed to more fully assess the extent and preservation of the vessel. It was soon obvious that the lower portion of the boat was intact, apart from the damage to one area already sustained during the machine excavations.
The initial investigations revealed that the timbers extended for some 6 metres across the full width of the pit and it became clearthat we were dealing with the substantially complete mid-section of a very well preserved prehistoric plank-sewn boat, broadly similar to that found at North Ferriby before the last war, and obviously a crucial new find for nautical archaeology. Numerous telephone calls and meetings the following day culminated in the grant of 6 days to fully excavate and record the remains. The ever-helpful engineers had already checked and indicated that unfortunately the levels could not be raised in order to preserve the boat in situ.
Since the boat would have to be removed to allow the contractors to excavate even deeper to complete their work, it was decided that the boat had to be lifted. A team of experts was hasti I y assem bled to decide how this could be achieved. The main problem to resolve was whetherto attempt the lift in one, or whether to cut the boat into sections artd lift these individually. Opinions were divided, and remain so. However, it was generally agreed, due to the fairly fragile nature of its construction, the time factor and the damage already sustained, that it would be safest to cut the boat into manageable segments thereby safeguarding key structural features.
Work on the boat continued for 13 hours each day and by the Friday night all the recording had been completed ready for the lift on Saturday. Working in conjunction with English Heritage conservators, the boat was then cut into 10 lettered sections, each being manouvered onto a pallet and then removed from the excavation using a crane and lorry kindly supplied by Dover Harbour Board. At 5.50 pm on Saturday 3rd October, the almost exhausted excavation team gave the signal to raise the final section of the boat which was taken, by lorry, to join the other sections now resting in a large water tank previously prepared by the Harbour Board in one of its store buildings on the quay-side only a short distance away.

The lifting operations were watched by a large crowd of Dovorians, eager to see the remains of the ancient vessel, so appropriately discovered at one of Europe's most famous ports. The atmosphere was somewhat akin to the homecoming of the Mary Rose to Portsmouth! From the details of its construction, the craft must have been the

product of a master boat-builder working within a long established tradition - the.
workmanship was superb, with cleats and central rails being carved from the two large, oak base planks and held together by transverse timbers. The side planks were held in place by individual stitches of twisted yew wood with moss caulking between the joints. Three species of moss have been identified - Thamnoryum alopecorum, Plagiothecium denticulatum and Sphagnum sp. The presence of Sphagnum sp. may be significant as it is not widespread in South East England today. Clearly a detailed study of the vessel will advance our knowledge of prehistoric boat-building greatly.
During the following week the contractors resumed their construction work whilst the archaeological field-team con'clated their somewhat hastily prepared notes and drawings. It was clearthat further substantial sections of the vessel must lie to the north and south of the mid-section al ready lifted. Although these sections were beyond the limits of the contractor's excavations, fears increased regarding the effects of the new deep subway and its associated water pumping station on the surrounding watertable.
There seemed no certainty that if the remaining parts of the vessel were left in situ, for future generations to excavate and study with improved techniques, the sediments would remain sufJiciently waterlogged to allow the preservation of the boat timbers.
Instructions were therefore issued by the Department of Transport and English Heritage to allemptto lift the remaining portions of the boat.
The close proximity of tall Victorian buildings immediately to lhe north precluded excavation here but a second coffer dam immediately to the south of the first was inserted and a further 8 days allowed for the excavation of the southern section of the vessel.
The reward for the considerable amount of extra effort and cost put into the new excavation was the exposure of a further 3.5 metres of the craft including the remains of an original end - it is not clear whether this represents the bow or stem. Interestingly, this had been partially dismantled soon after the boat was abandoned. A large section of the structure had been cut away, leaving intact the feathered ends of the side planks and the rather strange-looking forked terminal of the central base rails.
The same procedure was agreed for the lifting oflhe second section of the boat and this was undertaken on Monday 19th October in heavy rain, the final segment being retrieved at 8.45 pm. A total of9.50metres of the boat has now been raised in all, which perhaps amounts to about one half to two-thirds of lhe total length. There seems little doubt that the craft represents a sea-going vessel which presumably made regulartrips across the Dover Straits to and from the Continent. Once conserved, it is hoped that the boat will be placed on permanent display at the new Dover Museum.
Initial Carbon dates indicate that the boat is of Middle Bronze Age date. Preliminary examinations suggest that the boat was old and fairly certainly it was deliberately abandoned. It appears to have been left in, or adjacent to, a freshwater channel eroded into a compact peat deposit. SedimenLS immediately beneath the boat contain molluscs

that indicate the presence of a brook or stream with muddy banks covered with extensi ve vegetation. Evidence suggests that following abandonment, the boat in- filled rapidly with tufa and was subsequently sealed and protected by a thick layer of silt.
Molluscs indicate this occurred within an environment dominated by damp open ground amongst small muddy pools or slowly moving streams. No evidence for brackish or saline water organisms are present either in the mollusc or pollen assemblages despite the proximity to the present coast. 'This suggests considerable palaeogeographic change since the boat was buried. Bore-hole evidence, obtained as part of the project, suggests that the sediments and prehistoric surface associated with this event are widespread beneath central Dover and that a rich buried land-surface, with associated archaeology, may exist throughout much of the Dour Valley.
In addition to a significant amount of struck /lints and pOt-boilers a rich assortment of palaeoenvironmental data has been recovered from the boat and immediately adjacent contexts. Molluscs, animal and fish bones, insects and plant macro-fossils were seen during excavation and preliminary assessment of the samples taken has indicated that pollen and ostracods are also present. All contexts have been sampled and all the sediment from the filling of the boat (second stage excavation) has been recovered for study. Sibrnificant quantities of animal bone were recovered both in and adjacent to the boat. From the material studied to date it is noted that the bones appear to be largely from domestic cattle (Bos taurus). A scapula found lying on the boat surface showed evidence for human modification, possibly indicating filleting and disarticulation.
Elsewhere, many of the bones revealed extensive marks associated with gnawing by scavenging animals.
The raising of the Dover boat proved to be a splendid example of cooperation and assistance by many different companies, official bodies and individuals. Substantial fmancial assistance was provided by English Heritage and the Department of Transport, whilst the engineers ofMon Macdonald and Norwest Hoist gave invaluable practical help and encouragement on site. Dover Harbour Board played a vital part in the actual lifting and storage of the vessel, whilst Dover Museum and Dover District Council provided essential back-up to the excavation team. The writers extend their sincere thanks to all concerned.
K Parfitt

DAVID ELLERAY David Ellerav 1966-73 was encouraged to take up soccer refereeing while he was at St Martin's Primary School. He took the necessary FA referees' exams while at school and did a lot of refereeing in local and school soccer, building a reputation for firm control and no toleration of what a leading clubmanager has called "industrial language". In 1973 David gained A grades in Advanced Level Geography and History. He proceeded to Hertford College, Oxford where he was elected to a Scholarship as a result of Class I Hons. Mods. He was also President of the college geography society. At that time John Patten, now Secretary of State for Education, was an Oxford Professor of Geography. After obtaining his degree David obtained a teaching post at Harrow school where be divided his time between geography and soccer, taking parties abroad in pursuit of both these interests. He is now a house master of Duries. that being his present address.
As a referee in th.: highest kvds or so",,,,r ill this country he has on six occasions omciated at Wembley, the most recent occasion being on August 6th when he refereed Th.: ChaIity Shield match between Liverpool and Leeds. Even more recently he new to Bulgaria to referee an international match. News reporters will have their fun. On one occasion special note was made of a match in which he left all 22 players on the field to the end. On the other hand when a downpour of rain made a Manchester game unplayable the press reported that Mr Elleray had banished all 22 players from the field.

"A referee reminisces"",," Around noon on Saturday August 8th. I sat in a large limousine being driven from the FA Headquarters in London to Wembley Stadium where I was to referee the 1992 FA Tennant's Charity Shield between Leeds & Li verpool.

As we drove towards the famous stadium my mind drifted back to those early days when as a 13 year old in 3 Park at Dover GSB I began refereeing. In those days I would referee a School match on Saturday morning, have a quick lunch and then rush off to line or ref a Dover & District Junior League game. In the evening I'd avidly watch Match of the Day and on Sundays officiate in the morning and the afternoon.
Homework was always banned from the weekend until after supper on Sundays.
Whilst at the Grammar School I officiated in anything between 130-145 matches a season and here I am now officiating in under 40 last season and rarely acting as a linesman. In those early days I donned my black and white kit at Elms Vale Rec., Old Park Barracks and River; a match in Woodnesborough was an adventure and the summit of my ambition was to officiate at Crabble. Now I travel to Anfield, Old Trafford and Highbury wearing a green and black kit and soon I am off to Germany & Bulgaria to referee European Cup Matches. That fantastic Charity Shield match was my sixth Wembley 'appearance' and my ambition now focuses on the Cup Final & the World Cup! .

Just before the Charity Shield, I returned to Dover to referee a Testimonial match after the Dover Express had announced in an article that I had been placed on the FIFA List but had never refereed a senior match at Crabble. I spent the day wandering around the old 'haunts' remembering matches, incidents and the many friends made through soccer. After the match a steady trickle of old friends came to the dressing room, not least KHR who had encouraged my refereeing whilst teaching me to enjoy Geography so much that I went off to Oxford and have spent the last 15 years trying to emulate him in the Geography Department at Harrow.
In the bar after the Crabble match a number of former players queued up to regale me with stories of how I'd booked them or sent them off on cold November mornings. I seem to remember that they were not happy at the action I took in those days but now they seemed to delight in having been booked by a FIFA Ref!!

Editor has selected passages from two letters written by Mr V.F. West, 20 Bay Road, BRACKNELL, RG 12 2NH

SIXTY YEARS ON by v.F. West (Dover County School for Boys) 1924-30

My nephew, Richard West, an Old Pharosian, persuaded me to write to you. I left Dover when I left school in 1930 as I had an offer of ajob in Bracknell, and jobs were not easy to get in Dover in 1930.

I joined the Junior School In September 1924 having gained a scholarship when 11 years old. The Junior School was then in Ladywell, part of the Town Hall group of buildings. The JuniorSchool headmaster was MrLlewellyn Langley who retired when I was at the Senior School and took holy orders; his first appointment was as curate at River Church. After one year at the Junior School I went to the Senior School, then in Frith Road. The school at Astor Avenue was being built but was not completed before I left in 1930. We did however use the playing fields at Astor Avenue, which was quite a long walk from Frith Road.

At the Senior School sixth form I was in VI Commerce in 1929 and 1930. Previous to 1929 there had only been VI Arts and Science. We had a choice of VI Commerce and Engineering.

We went to school on Saturday mornings but had Wednesday afternoons off unless required for a sports event. One Wednesday I was walking home at mid-day when our house captain (Buckland house) overtook me and said "West - you are in the House Gymnastic Display Team this afternoon." I told him that it was no good picking me as I could not do a "neck roll" on the vaulting horse. He replied "I can't help that, you are in the team, there is nobody else." There was no way of disobeying the house

The 1 st. Cadet Company, Cingue Ports Fortress, R.E. in parade dress and at the annual camp 1927

We should be very glad to see you on Saturday 18th. September 1993



in the Great Hall Dover Grammar School for Boys on Saturday 18th. September 1993

captain as he had the full backing of the house master. So eventually it was my turn to do a neck roll, with everybody watching, I ran up, jumped on the springboard and hoped I would survive without breaking my neck. To my great surprise I found I had done a neck roll and I have never done one since.

Our Headmaster was of course Freddy Whitehouse. He found time to take classes in Scripture and so got to know all of us. He was an excellent Head. I can remember a few masters' names: Baxter (French), Constable (Chemistry), Francis (Art), Pascall (PT), Pearce (Physics and olc Cadet Company), Slater (French), Tomlinson (Maths), Uncles (English), Watt (French).

I joined the School Cadet Company, the 1st Cadet Company, Cinque Ports Fortress, Royal Enf,rineers. I enclose photos taken at one of the annual camps, probably 1927.
At annual camp our school caretaker donned his uniform and became our Sergeant Major. In the group photo Captain Pearce, our commanding officer, is in the centre with Lt. Constable on his left and Sergeant Major on his right.

The Cadet Company had parades about once a week, after school, as well as field days, church parades and annual camp. We had a very good band with four side drums marching in front, then the two kettle drums, followed by the big drum and cymbals and at the back were eight bugles. At annual camp, sometimes at Seasalter and sometimes at Swalecliff, the band paraded for Flag up ceremony in the morning and Flag down in the evening when we would Beat Retreat.

I did not know that Vic Sparham lost his life in East Africa. I knew him well, we were both in Buckland House.

Bill Kemp I knew before either of us wcnt to the County School as we were both in Buckland cubs at the same time. I was sorry to learn that Bill Kemp's wife has died.

I remember Mr Darby well, as he was our housemaster. On one occasion Mr Tomlinson came in to take a maths class and said "I want all the blockheads to get up and throw themselves out of the window". There was a deathly silence: we were on thc first floor and it was a fair drop to playground level. Mr Frowdc also taught us maths. If I remember correctly he once had a very serious illness and his wife came into school and taught maths for a time.

There were two brothers named Blackford and I can not rememberthe christian name of the one I knew. The younger one took the Oxford and Cambridge Joint Board School Certificate in 1929, when I did. Both brothers were in the Cadet Corps. When we were "at easc" on a route march we used to sing. There was a popular song "Bye bye Blackbird" but we sane "Bye bye Blackford" because he was soon to leave us.

The Cadet Corps won the Lucas Tooth shield in 1927 and I am sure we also won in 1928 and 1929 as I have a medal with two bars. If, by chance, the archivists would

like it they can have it.

If, after all this time, I was eligible to join the Old Pharosians I would like to do so. I will write to the Membership Secretary about joining the Association. Yours sincerely, Frank West



Can you imagine the Great Hall on an autumnal Wednesday afternoon with parents filling onc side and boys of the first three years on the other?

Two boys on stage act as masters of ceremon) anJ headmaster gives a speech of welcome, including the very fair statement that "to be young is not to be less important". Apparently a few racers in the 3rd year are succeeding at '0' level, particularly in maths. The head produced a number of developments that indicate an upturn in the school's fortunes.

Two first year boys spoke of pen friends and a crossing to Calais by hovercraft. A lively violin solo preceded a report on Environmental studies v'dil..Jl reqUIres I-'roject work that can be done in "those boring school holidays".

A piano piece played on the school Steinway showed sensitive understanding of Mozart 's m usic by the boy who gained the prize for music. A young genius who plays the violin was awarded the certificate for outstanding service to music.

The CCF had a busy year that included flying experience; adventurous training with a leaky tent in the Lake District; naval experiences at Portland; army training at Dusseldorf and the Corps Annual Inspection Day. A visit to the Royal Tournament was evidently a great day out.

A boy played the clarinet and his slow smile at the end amid the applause meant that he loved his instrument, the music and the appreciation of his talent. Councillor Bill Newman, Mayor of Dover for the second time, told of his treasured memories of the school on the hill in 1938 before his transfer to South Wales. He and his three sons, onc having gone from the school to Cambridge and two to teaching hospitals, owed much to the culture of this school and its staff. "This is my school," he said, "be proud of your traditions in this centre of excellence. It is great to be here today".

Forty Years On and the hymn Fiat Lux were sung. Plenty of fathers seemed to know the words.


Ave verum Mozart Prelude and Fugue in G Major J S Bach Missa brevis Pancti Joannis Haydn Introduction and Passacaglia Regcr Mass in G Major Schubert

by the choir of Dover Grammar School for Boys with Scott Farrell, Old Pharosian, at the organ: and with Treble, Tenor and Bass soloists from Canterbury Cathedral, most memorably the treble voice of Benjamin Warn, aged 13.

This concert took place in the lovely Norman church at StMargaret's at Cliffe on 17th July at 8 pm Conductor: Richard Davies the school's master of music.

The choir is on the small size for such great works because the school now has omy 400 boys by comparison with its former 700. Five members of the teaching staff give strength and experience to the sound of young voices, all singing with pleasure and understanding. Scolt Farrell showed his expertise on the quite excellent organ at St Margaret's. The soloists from Canterbury were of course first class, the boy treble especially touching the emotions. Dona eis pacem - "grant them peace" - can one wish more to one's fellow travellers along life's way?

To Richard Davies we owe our thanks for a deeply moving evening of sacred music.


This concert was given to mark the sixtieth anniversary of the inauguration of the organ at the School on Wednesday 28 September 1932. This recital also brings to a close the Diamond Jubilee Organ Appeal. Over the past year parents, boys, staff, friends of the school and members of the Old Pharosians Association have raised over £2,000 towards repair costs of £2,700. This has allowed a scheme of restoration work to be completed in time to return the organ to excellent playing order on the occasion of its sixtieth birthday.

The programme was chosen to show off the many aspects of the instrument. The four stops added to the organ since 1932 bring a new brightness to each department and allow independent registrations on each of Great, Swell and Pedal. This independence of line is particularly important in Baroque organ music and heard to best effect in the Bach. On the other hand the Romantic pieces by Brahms and Frank are more at one with the organ's original conception and use only the stops of 1932. Two pieces by Vierne played at the opening recital in 1932 were also been included in this programme.

There can be no doubt that the excellent teachings of music by S.F. Willis, Kenneth Best, Adrian Boynton and now Richard Davies have been greatly enriched by the school's possession of an organ which, in several cases, attracted these teachers to the school. .

Virtually every Old Pharosian, whatever his musical inclinations, will recognise the value of the organ to the school's daily assemblies and the number of Old Pharosians who have become teachers of music or church organists must be directly due to the achievement of Mr Fred Whitehouse in effecting the installation of an organ, so rare in state schools.


As further evidence of the benelit of cooperation between Dover's two grammar schools, both combined in a production of 'THE CAUCASIAN CHALK CIRCLE' by Brecht. At the girls' grammar school it was played in the round, Le. with audience on all sides of a central stage.

The producer had done a fine job. The leading boy and girl players were fi rst class and a lot of young people were given experience of theatre.


Mr Steve Bailey, who has looked after the 1st XI for many years, has good news.

A boy in the Upper Sixth named Paul O'Brien plays for the Kent Under 19 XI and has been selected to join 60 boys from across the nation to go to Lilleshall before Christmas.
Thirty of the 60 will be invited to return in January and from these an England squad of 18 will be chosen.

At 16 years of age Paul was invited by Charlton Athletic to sign apprenticeship forms: but he preferred to stay at school and will take' A' levels next summer, hoping then to go to higher education in the field of Sports Studies. Another Dover G.S. boy, Pat Sutcliffe, went on this course in the past September.

Your editor watched the Dover FC game on 5th December when Paul O'Brien played in their Senior Team f()r the first time. At first he intelligently laid the ball off for others but as he gained confidence he was quick to see and to use an opening and the second goal was entirely made by his skill for a striker to finish. Dover Express headline O'Brien shines in league debut.

Mr Bailey has further good news. He says that there is a 3rd year boy who captains the Kent Schools Under 14 XI. His name is Kristian Alien. Watch this space.


20 November 1992 These evenings are very well arranged by Mr Kelvin Carter as supreme administrator to whom so much credit is due. All that is done before the day has to be left to the im a!,ri nation, though invitations and ticket distri bution m ust involve a lot of staff work.
On arrival at the door each guest is met by very polite prefects who escort guests to seats or to a sheny reception with a kindly "I hope you enjoy your evening".

Pattern of the programme does not change much. A boy acts as continuity man and this year's James Gee was cheerfully relaxed. The musical programme had more jazz than I would want but I am not one to complain. The spoken word happily increases to share in the programme. It is so well chosen and performed. The school organ, now restored to good health, is beautifully played before and after the main presentations.
Mr Richard Davies has done the school a great service by his care and expertise in this matter.

Guest Evening this year happily proved to be the day on which the press published nationwide statistics of measurable achievements in public examinations. The successes of this school must have given added buoyancy to headmaster's report. He said that in so many respects the school had regained its balance af1er a period of difficulty, if not despair.

Almost all boys now go on into the sixth form where joint working with the Girls Gramm ar School !,r] ves wide choice of su b jects. Thanks were rightl y expressed to Miss Pope who had been so helpful in making the necessary arrangements. Headmaster was so euphoric that I think I heard him say he expected the school to go on in this building with renewed confidence for many years to come.

The Guest Speaker, Mr Russell Taylor, Arts Critic to the Times newspaper and an Old Pharosian, picked up something of the Head's spirit. Though, as is so often said, the stage curtains remain from another age, the sadness of "this may be our last year here" had gone and he thought we should probably still be here in five years' time. "The best is yet to come" was his theme for the school and those senior boys who were going into life beyond school.

Those of you who know your Shakespeare will recall that Polonius, that elderly buffer, told Hamlet "the apparel oft proclaims the man". Our guest speaker wore a tie like a glorious tropical sunrise lighting up a green field. The boys who collected prizes and other awards were mostly dressed as required by the custom of this school: but the boys had, very reasonably been allowed to express theirindividuality by choice of ties. None could rival the splendour of our Guest Speaker.

But there is every year the boy who wins the prize for Art. This year he appeared in multicoloured dream trousers: and he must be judged equal first with our Guest Speaker for colourful representation of the Arts.

By way of compensation, one boy wore a bow tie of purest white. He may well in time be President of the Oxford Union or maybe Speaker of the House of Commons. Either would be a first achievement for any Old Pharosian.


Obituaries The Rev Arthur Binks (1922-31) of88 Cranleigh Drive, Whitfield died suddenly but peacefully on 20 October after a short illness. He was aged 80 and retired but he was often helpful to the vicar of Whitfield, fellow Old Pharosian, John Philpott.
Fred Greenstreet (1915-22) died on 13 October aged 87. The funeral service was at St Andrew's Church, Shepherdswell. Throughout his working life he was a maker of boots and shoes: and he was naturally proud that he had made riding boots for the Princess Royal and the Household Cavalry. Fred was a long-serving and loyal member of the choir at St Mary's Church where he reserved for himself a seat at the end of the choir stalls under the pulpit. A presentation was made was made to him after he had sung in the choir for fifty years. In his earlier years he was a member of Dover Cricket Club. He was an acute business man but also a generous man, a well known and respected character in the town.
Andrew Mummery has died aged 36 after a courageous three and a half years fight against cancer. After leaving school he obtained a Geography degree at London university. He then taught that subject in Sussex and Bury St Edmund's. He died peacefully at his suffolk home and leaves a widow and two year old son.
Richard Frederick "Dick" Slator (1925-34) died suddenly but peacefully on 28 Septem ber, 1992 in a nursing home at H ythe, Kent aged 75 years. He had fonner] y been a Lt. Co] in the Royal Tank Regiment.

OTHER OLD BOYS Simon Bannister (1970-73) has been elected to represent Buckland Ward on Dover Council. He joins Bill Newman as a Labour representative of that ward. He holds degrees in economics, sociology and building studies.
David Bean has been awarded a Master of Science degree. He is a research Fellow at BruneI working on micro-electric systems.
Robert "Bod" Bowles is president of Dover Licensed Victuallers Association and mine host at the Louis Armstrong pub, formerly known as the Grapes. He celebrated thirty years as a licensee in the town with a party in a marquee in his garden. There was live music with one of the jazz groups led by Bill Barnacle, a few years senior to Bod at school. There was a good scattering of Bod's contemporaries at the party.
Adrian Bovnton (1978-89) Mr EA Armitage, who taught music at the school during the time that Mr Boynton was DirectorofMusic, wrote to say what a magnificent organ recital Adrian had given in Bridlinbrton. "The whole programme was played with a sensitivity which one rarely meets these days." Mr Annitage was at the recital with Martin Greenland who lives in York and works for British Rail.

.Tames Brown (1978-85) In the 6th form he studied Politics and History to A level and then read Law at what is now the Anglia Polytechnic University, obtaining an LLB (Hons) degree in 1988. In the following years he was admitted to the Inns of Court School of Law and was called to the Bar by Gray's Inn in 1989. There followed a pupillage in Chambers, specialising in International Human Rights cases. He became friends with Professor Tony Bradley, a fellow Old Pharosian. In 1990 he moved into Canterbury where he engages in private practice as well as lecturing at Greenwich University, at the London Southbank University and at the City Polytechnic. He married in 1992 and lives at 6 College Road, Deal, CT14 9BW.

Michael Deal (1974-81) has worked in Fo]kestone for the pas six and ahalfyears since leaving Reading University. He is Acting Director of Finance fonhe Community and Priority Services Unit of the South-cast Kent Hea]th Authority. He is a keen follower of Kent cricket and the Dover Athletic Fe. He also coaches a local boys' soccer club.

Martin Dench (1973-) has gained a BA honours degree in Greek and Roman history at Swansea university. He was a mature student aged about thirty.

Denis Doble (1948-55) wrote in June to let us know that he is now Consul-General in Amsterdam, having moved from Jamaica last year. We do offer our congratulations and best wishes. The editor met Denis last in the pavilion at Lord's when Kent were playing Middlesex with at least onc Old Pharosian in the Kent team. So Denis reports that he is an honorary member of the main cricket club in Amsterdam: and that cricket is strong enough in Netherlands to play the touring West Indians and Pakistanis. The letter came from British Consulate-Genera] Amsterdam, Konigslaan 44, PO Box 75488, 1070 AL Amsterdam.

Fa!:,!:,- Graham and Stuart. Two brothers at school in Or Hinton 's time. A parent introduced himself to your editor in a Dover street and said: "I can not thank the grammar school enough for what it has done for my two boys. It must never cease to be a grammar schoo]".

Graham Fa!:!: BSc. Hons and Ph.D. His main work has been in Pharmacological research and he is now Scientific Adviser to a I1nn based in Switzerland. He travels to many parts of the world seeking and assessing new developments in pharmacy.

Stllart Fa!:!:. the younger brother, is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chartered Surveyors. He lives at Kildown near Cranbrook and is a directorof a fi rm in Tunbridge Wells.

Lallrence Fisher (1979-86) went to Newcastle and graduated in 1991 as a dentist and worked in a hospital "which I absolutely loved." More recently he has been lecturing in the university on Oral Biology and Clinical Anatomy. He also has a research project on the microbiology of dental abcesses: and is interested in the use of hypnosis in his subject.

Hew Grierson joined Miss Rookwood's Junior department in 1934 and went to Ebbw Vale. In 1942 he left to join his father in Manchester, returning to Dover after the war.
He followed his father in the paper-making business and in 1970 moved to Connel near Ob an and set up as a Chartered Engineer, consultant in Paper Manufacture, in which capacity he has travelled the world. He married in 1958 to a lady who taught biology in Dover Grammar School for Girls.
Andrew J Havden (1932-40) wrote from Ludlow in Shropshire expressing great interest in the diamond jubilee organ recital. The editor was able to send him a programme. In retirement he and his wife are voluntary visitors for the London Pensions Fund Authority and among those they visit is J F W Collins who was at the school in the early 1920's. He is nearly 84 and is somewhat frail but alert and happy to talk about the old school.
Jack Ho!:bin (1952-56) came into the school's sixth form in the early 1950's. He is now a senior lecturer in Manchester University and, as is customary for university people, goes to conferences in the USA and once got as far as the White House lawn.
Rev Williarn Kern!} (1923-30) wrote with apologies for absence from AGM and Dinner. "I hope that both go well and leave in the memories ofthose who attend' visions of brotherhood' which are the treasurer store of many of us veterans." Keith McInnes (1941-47) was in school just before the war and he went to Ebbw Vale then and again to the recent reunion. He is employed in a large printing firm producing many popular magazines. The business was for a time a Maxwell concern with little love left for that gentleman and hi~ financial operations. He still has Mr Booth's reference wri tten when he left: and a report from Lower Fifth saying he could do better if he tried.
lan McInnes Keith's elder brother also went to the Ebbw Vale reunion. He became a Bevan Boy in the war years and then went to Nottingham University where he learned to become a mining engineer, working for the Coal Board. He is now aged 67 and has retired.
Martin Kinc (1954- 57) son of M r Gordon King who taught in the school from 193471, is Associate Professor of Textile Science in the University of Manitoba. In July he travelled to Compiegne near Paris in company with his father to receive a Ph.D, Genie Biomedical at the Universite de Technologie de Compiegne.
Martin Lllff (1969-76) wrote to let us know of change of address. He still lives in Rainham near Gillingham and commutes daily to work for Reuters in London. He is involved in computing for their Foreign Exchange Dealing Network and has had brief assignments to Geneva and Singapore. He retains interest in Kent Cricket at Canterbury and the Dover FC in winter.

R Mercer (1935-38) and Will Walking (1930-38) Both received degrees at a Presentation ceremony for wartime graduates of London University at the Royal Festival Hall on 23rd June, 1992 presided over by the Princess Royal, Chancellor of the University. .

SQn Ldr Tonv Norman (1944-51) lives in Huntingdon and commutes daily to London. He wrote: I was interested in your article on school cricket from your viewpoint and I remember my time in the first team with great affection. My colours cap did the round of RAF stations and Norfolk village cricket pitches in the 1950's and early 1960's. It was resurrected for a final season in 1966 in Singapore but got eaten by something and found its way into the dustbin. It was last seen vanishing down University Road worn, very proudly, by a chinese dustman.

John Pittock (1924-31) lives at Cranbrook and would be glad to hear from friends as he is not very mobile these days. His address is 3 Wheatfield Way, Cranbrook, TN17 3LS.

Maurice Sayers (1939-42) left the school fifty years ago when he was aged fourteen. He tookajobin the Doverlaw firm ofStilwell and Harby. His present position as senior partner in that firm has been his for the past twenty years. He was articled when he was 27 and qualified as a solicitor when 32. Maurice is president of Dover rugby club, of which he was once captain; formercaptain of Dover swimming club; a past president of Dover chamber of commerce; past chairman of Dover Round Table; a former president of the Kent Law Society; chairman of the Alkham Valley society; and president of the Old Pharosians Association in 1975-76.

John Sirnrnonds (1939-45) wrote from Worthing in July. He enclosed photographs of the building of the pavilion for which work he was our architect. The photos have been passed to our archivist. The cricket paviJjon was his first real commission and now he looks forward to retirement from his duties as DirectorofProperty with the Mid Downs Health Authority. His brother David, distinguished games player and athlete of the 1950's, is still piloting for Isle of Man airlines. Peter, the youngest brother, is still with TW A at Heathrow.

Or Oavid Thomas (1970-77) of the Department of Geography at Sheffield wrote in October on his return from field study in the Kalahari desert. He is half way through major research for the Natural environment Research Council, requiring two more years' work for completion. At Sheffield he is Admissions Tutor for the B.Sc.
Geography degree course. The Department turns out some 130 graduates each year, the largest geography department in the country. David gave the Royal Geography Society's young mem bers Christmas lecture: and has another book to finish by the New Year.

V Wraicht (1920-27) recalled in a letter to our President... "On one occasion I revisited the school and Freddy took me out on the balcony and said 'There you are, Wraight, there is Doverto which I have given 30 years of my life'." GEORGE CURRY and THE WORLD OF CHARLES DICKENS On 23rd November George came to St. Mary's Parish Centre in Dover to give his selection of the works of Charles Dickens, quite brilliantly performed. He stands on stage alone at a reading desk, with virtually no properties, dressed in costume of the period. From George's home base in florida, at a stage oflife that most would call retirement, he has been travelling the world, as did Dickens himself more than a century ago, giving readings that are totally convincing and of1en deeply moving. George has a profound affection for Dover and this school where he first developed his early love of theatre and literature. He'has had a full, interesting life: and his Dickens presentation is now so polished by performance that turning the pages is just part of his act.
Quoting from the programme ........ "he recalls with gratitude the Dover Boys' Grammar School with Mr Fred Whitehouse as headmaster, supported by what he considers have been the most able and dedicated assembly ofteachers anywhere." Few of the teachers ofGeorge's time at school are with us today. But in the audience were many Old Pharosians of his and later generations, all knowing that they shared in the fellowship of those who had been launched in life from a school for which they retained respect and affection.
LA TE EXTRA ARCHIVE DATA-BASE bv Peter Burville Your archivist, Sidney Wenborn, and his team of Vic Alcock, John Borrett, John Maslen and myself, continue to make progress on the computer data-base which records the OP A material held by the archivist. The team meets on a regular basis at the School and would be pleased to be joined by anyone who would like to help with the task.
Putting details of the material into the data-base requires cataloguing to be done and the identification of the people associated with the material. There are now approaching two thousand names of Old Pharosians on the data-base, who are associated with more than 300 photographs and other items in the archives. It will not surprise you to hear that there is still a lot more to be done so if you are interested do please join us if distance is a problem we still need people in photographs to be identified and this can be done via the mail. The present data-base was created as an ' A' level project for one of the boys, Paul Morris, and associates names with material and vice-versa. Now we would like to extend its capabilities by putting some actual material, such as the Newsletter and the Pharos magazines, onto the data-base. This will enable visitors to search very quickly for people and events of interest in the magazines with the help of

the computer. I now wait to see if any of the boys are interested in taking up a project.
Our primary objective, of course, is to hel p the boys get a good' A' level experience and results.

Don't forget, if you want to come and help with this work please give Sidney'or myself a ring (0304-853267),


Mr Richard Davies is to be congratulated on the high standard of his instrumentalists. Skilled performances on organ, piano, violin, cello, horn, clarinet and saxophone were all admirably demonstrated to the pleasure of an appreciative audience. It was good to see members of the teaching staff supporting their Director of Music either by their musical talents or by their presence at this concert.


This was beautifully done: and as the reputation of the Christmas service becomes more widely known the main body of the church is filled and people overflow into the side aisles. All is traditional, as is Christmas itself. The readings are from the Holy Bible, authorised version, which some of us know almost by heart. Everyone stood while headmaster read John I, verses Ito 14. Carols included most of those we love best as well as Sir Christemas by Mathias that ended with a very masculine shout of joy. Our thanks are due to Mr Richard Davies, director of music, as well as to other teachers and boys who helped to make this memorable Christmas service.

ASSEMBLY FOR END OF THE CHRISTMAS TERM It was a day to refill the reservoirs but not to dampen the spirits of boys with Christmas much in mind. A lot of soccer had been played during the term. Year 7 reported that "Our opponents from Hartsdown scored two goals with the offside law not being observed". The year 8 team won 6 of their 8 matches year 9 team won 3 of their 7 matches year 10 team won 9 of their 11 matches and the U 16 Xl won 5 of their 9 matches but had several sending offs for "ridiculous behaviour". Most of the 2nd XI are sixth form boys who won 10 of their 13 matches, scoring 55 goals against 18. The 1 st XI had quality in depth but "several boys were playing four or five games a week for various teams, so becoming jaded and picking up injuries. The team was well marshalled by Paul O'Brien who set a fine example - if anything the team was quite willing to give him the ball and watch to see what happened next" Playing record: P12 W4 04 L4 Goals for 37: against 27 A good number of rugby playing boys had been training and playing with the Dover RFc.

Chess teams had included 35 boys in school teams. The CCF had enjoyed a successful inspection.

Headmaster was pleased to report that there had been many entries in the Distinction book for outStandingly good work. He was delighted by the Assemblies that had been arranged by boys: and as a final happy conclusion, a boy named Spence had gained a place at Wadham College, Oxford to read mathematics.

The school's future was assured.



First the good news SCHOOL EXAM RESULTS

were statistically treated for schools nationwide and published in national and local press.

GCSE ADVANCED LEVEL % of pupils of appropriate Average of pointS for grades gained age achieving grades A to C in 5 or more subjects per student


Financial statistics showed that when 59 education authorities were ranked in order of spending per pupil Kent was placed 57th in the list. At both junior and senior prizegivings in the past autumn term Headmaster spoke of an upturn in numbers of pupils both at 11 year entry and sixth form levels.


Our MP has been asked to lead a local delegation to Mr Patten who has had previous knowledge of the proposal for our two grammar schools to merge on a Whitfield site.
Mr Patten's response has been to ask for a solution costing less than the proposed £ 10 millions and the request for a meeting has been refused. The need for current finance turns thoughts toward Grant Maintained status but this is now thought to be a threadbare solution. Headmaster says he has balanced his current accounts and the staff situation is now stable.

Local press reports have drawn attention to the Old Park Barracks that now stand empty. The Junior Leaders RE. used the place very much as a school. There are

Old Pharosians Association Income and Expenditure Account for the vear ended 31st .Tulv. 1992

1991 £ £ £ . £ Income Covenated Income 138.00 212.50 Subscriptions and Donations 335.50 225.63 Dinner Ticket Sales 793.00 764.50 War Loan Interest (see note) 3.50 3.50 Building Society Interest 493.31 643.58 Income Tax Refunds 121.10 140.13 Appeals - Organ repairs 850.00 Ebbw Yale 1,093.75

3,828.16 1,989.84

Expenditure Newsletters 486.20 537.37 Postage and Stationery - 22.10 School Prizes 15.00 15.00 Dinner Expenses 757.00 758.68 Sundry Items - Pavillion Signboards 148.05 - Computer Equipment 571.47 - Folding Machine Filing Cabinct - 333.29 Donation 50.00 Bank Charges 16.49 17.61 Appeals - Organ repairs 850.00 - Ebbw Yale 1,093.75 3,987.96 1,684.05

Deficit for the Year (1991 - Surplus) (159.80) 305.79

Revenue Reserve - brought forward 5,487.32 5,181.53

- carried forward 5,327.52 5,487.32

Balance Sheet as at 31 st July, 1992 Lloyds Bank Current Account 4.38 138.47 Woolwich Building Society Account 5,270.69 5,348.85 Due from the Inland Revenue (1991/92 claim) 52.45

Revenue Reserve Balance 5,327.52 5,487.32

Note: The Association holds 31/2 % War loan with a nominal value of £1 00

............................................... """"""""""""""""""""""""
LO. Pascall, F.c.A. Hon. Treasurer A.G. Stone. Hon. Auditor