OPA Newsletter Oct 1962
New Series No. 3
THE OLD PHAROSIANS’
President: A. H. GUNN
H. R. SLATER, Meadow Cottage, Sandwich Rd., Whitfield, Dover
MORE OLD MASTERS
In the last issue of the Newsletter I wrote about masters who have emerged into the delights of life beyond the time-table.
Now the attempt must be made to say something interesting, but not libellous, about the men I am to see tomorrow morning and many a morning after that.
T. E. ARCHER, as Second Master, has considerable responsibility for discipline in the school. He recently gave up command of the Cadet Force which had steadily increased its members and range of activities. On his last parade the Force marched past its commanding officer and made a presentation to him.
A. A. COVENEY continues to preside over the Metalwork Department and is also House Master of Astor. In the past year or two he has suffered some ill-health and undergone operations which appear to have restored him to normal good health.
A. E. COULSON is Head of the Mathematics Department and Careers Master.
W. H. JACQUES teaches maths and directs the affairs of Frith House. Frith has been outstandingly successful in recent years. Mr. Jacques is renowned for his microscopic hand-writing and microphonic power of voice. The report that when Mr. Jacques says Grace in the dining hall people say “Amen” down in the Market Square is probably exaggerated.
F. C. KENDALL has charge of Chemistry. Priory House and the Stationery Store. upon all of which he bestows a benign and courteous control. He is always seen, but seldom heard in the school orchestra.
W. G. KING continues to worry over the short-comings of the world, as seen from the Economics department, and to prescribe for their cure as Chairman of the local Liberal party in after-school hours. During most holidays he gets away from it all by going abroad.
A. G. PITCEATHILY appears ageing on some days and youthful on others. The success or failure of the Under 12 teams in his charge has something to do with it.
E. G. SMITH teaches Latin laced with dry humour.
T. G. WALKER maintains the high standards long associated with this school’s Physics Department. He is also Treasurer to the school’s charity collections which amount to a few hundred pounds per annum.
N. MORECROFT deserves a mention in these notes for his constant readiness to make or mend anything and help anybody.
These then are some of the “Elder Brethren” about the place. Men come here and tend to stay. Perhaps Old Boys would like to consider why this should be so.
W. H. DARBY
Old Pharosians attending Cricket Week at Crabble probably wonder why Mr. Darby was not to be seen. We regret to say that a serious illness was the reason.
He had a serious operation earlier this year and had returned home, hoping to be fit to follow Kent’s cricket fortunes when he had a bad stroke and has since been confined to the house.
With his well-known quiet determination he has been making every effort to recover the use of his limbs and the latest report is that there is a definite improvement.
For more recent Old Boys, it is interesting to recall that Mr. Darby joined the Staff of the School as long ago as 1908, retired in 1937, and then returned to us in Ebbw Vale from 1940 to 1944.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING will be held on Saturday, 3rd November. 1962. at 6.30 p.m. at the Dover Stage Hotel.
- Read Notice Convening the Meeting
- Matters arising
- Treasurer’s Report
- Secretary’s Report
- Election of Officers
- Any other business
HAROLD R. SLATER.
The Annual Dinner will follow the meeting at 8.00 p.m. The cost will be 14/. and dress is informal.
The Guest Speaker will be Dr. C. A. Hart.
Reservations to H. R. Slater. Meadow Cottage, Whitfield Hall, Whitfield. Dover (Kearsney 2033) by Thursday. 5 o’clock. 1st November. 1962.
OTHER COMING EVENTS
Saturday, 15th December, 1962.
Old Boys Soccer Matches. Will Old Boys interested in playing please get in touch with Mr. K. H. Ruffell at the School?
Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, 14th, 15th, 17th, and 18th December, at 7.15 p.m.
Patience by W. G. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan presented by the School. Tickets can be obtained from Mr. W. G. King at the School. Booking opens on 26th November, but applications received before that date will be given priority.
Friday, 28th December, 1962.
Christmas Dance at the Crypt Restaurant, Dover, from 8 p.m. to 12 p.m. Tickets will be limited and will cost 12/6d. They can be obtained from the Secretary, E. Crush, Esq., or A. H. Gunn. Esq. Early application is recommended. Dress optional.
NEWS FROM OLD BOYS
DILNOT, Sidney, (1921-29) studied at Selwyn College, Cambridge, gaining his first degree in 1932. In 1939 he became an A.I.Mech.E. and in 1941 proceeded to his M.A.(Cantab). In 1932 he joined the Research Staff of Jas. Williamson and Sons, Linoleum Manufacturers, Lancaster. In 1939 he was Works Manager of Messrs. Doulton Ltd., Dudley and in the same year he joined the Research Staff of the High Duty Alloys Ltd., Slough, being engaged in (amongst other projects) the research development and production of magnesium metal from sea water by high temperature vacuum distillation. From 1946-51 he was Research Manager for all the activities of S.M.D. Engineers, Slough and General Manager of their Cellular Concrete Division. At present he is a Technological Consultant specialising in Cellular Concrete. He is married and has one son. He has played Hockey for N.W. England.
SHARP, Douglas Cecil, (1932-37) is now Chief Design Engineer at Appleby and Ireland Ltd., a company making aircraft and scientific instruments. Before taking up his present post he was Chief Draughtsman at Isotopes Developments Ltd., Aldermaston, manufacturing nucleonic instruments. He tells us how, during a meeting with some business rivals he met Peter HARVEY, a contemporary of his. Harvey is now head of Telecommunications, E. K. Coles Ltd., Southend. He has also met Frank WEBB since the war. Webb was then working for the Forestry Commission in Wales.
IGGLESDEN, Michael, (1945-48) wrote from Australia recently, telling us that he is school teaching in Perth now, along with John HANCOCK, a contemporary of his. Before taking up his present post Igglesden travelled and worked in every State in the Northern Territory, boatbuilding, farming and carpentering. He tells us that his brother Christopher is Manager of a mixed farm in Southern Tasmania, loves the life, is married and has one son. Michael himself has 3 children and says any old boy finding himself in Perth would be a welcome visitor at his home. 8 Kingsway, Nedlands, Western Australia.
CHEESEMAN, George Edwin. (1918-20) worked for the Co-operative Societies in various towns in Kent and Bucks on leaving school. During the war he served in the R.A.F. From 1946-53 he was a Member of Deal Borough Council and Chairman of the Council’s Planning Committee. At present he is Political Organiser in the Sevenoaks Constituency.
BAYFORD, Graham Hugh, (1953-56) became a Solicitor’s Artic1ed Clerk in Slough. He takes his final examination in February, 1963 to qualify for admission to the Solicitors’ Roll. His brother John. is also articled to a firm of solicitors.
MENTER, James Woodham. (19??-39) who was Head Prefect, went up to Cambridge in 1940. From 1942-45 he was an Experimental Officer at the Anti-Submarine Experimental Establishment, Admiralty, returning to Cambridge in 1946 where he stayed until 1954. In 1943 he gained his B.A. Hons., in 1947 his M.A.. in 1949 his Ph.D. and in 1960 his Sc.D. In 1954 he was given the Sir George Beilby Memorial Award from the Institute of Metals and Royal Institute of Chemistry. He is at present Director of Research, Tube Investment Research Labs. and Director of Research and Development, Tube Investments Iron and Steel Division.
BAYLY, Ernest, (1936-43) was at Goldsmiths’ College for two years after leaving school. He had a short period as a Sergeant with the Intelligence Corps before taking up teaching. He first worked in the Maidstone and Chatham areas but in 1962 took up duties in Bournemouth. He is very interested in the work of the English Folk Dance and Song Society and was Hon, Sec. of its Maidstone group.
BAKER, Edward Horace. ( 922-30) will be remembered as the School Secretary during the years 1930-38. When he finally tore himself away from School he entered the salaries section of the Kent Education Committee, Maidstone. After five years with the Royal Army Ordanance Corps., in which he reached the rank of Warrant Officer. he returned to service with the K.E.C. as Divisional Finance Officer, He is married and has one son.
ABBOTT, Leslie Herbert Ronald, (1925-32) who was Secretary of the Old Pharosians just before the war, was admitted a solicitor in 1937 and became a partner in Knocker, Elwin and Lambert, Dover. During his war service he attained the rank of Captain, R.A. and from 1946-49 he served in the Legal Division of the Control Commission in Germany. He is now a partner in a firm of solicitors having offices in Wolverhampton. Stafford, Rugby, Coventry and West Kensington. He is married and has two children.
BEGBIE, Ronald Peter, (1928-35) was apprenticed to F. A. Bateman Ltd., on leaving school. From 1940-44 he was an instructor in infantry training in the army until discharged on medical grounds, He rejoined the staff of F. A. Bateman Ltd., and subsequently became an associate member of the British Optical Association and an associate of the Royal Society of Health. From the 1st January, 1961 he has been General Manager of F. A. Bateman Ltd. He is married and has two children.
BINKS, John Arthur James, (922-31) was at Westey College, Leeds, reading theology from 1932-36, gaining his degree in the final year. From then until 1943 he was engaged in missionary work in Indian villages, being ordained in Madras in 1939. From 1943-44 he was in charge of Snargate Street Methodist Church, Dover, but immediately returned to India, first to village work, then to the staff of a theological college, and finally to parish work in Madras.
BLACKFORD, Harry Crothall, (1928-32) who was Head Prefect gained his M.A. at Clare College, Cambridge. While there he rowed for his College’s first boat. In 1935 he joined the Metal Box Co. Ltd., and transferred to the British Piston Ring Co., in 1941, now being Director in charge of production at their Coventry division. He is a churchwarden of Coventry Cathedral. He was married in 1944 and has three daughters and two sons.
WATT, Ian Pierre, (1924-35) was at St. John’s College, Cambridge from 1935-39. During the war he was a Lieutenant in the Infantry, being a P.O.W. in the Far East for 3 years. In 1938 he was elected a Fellow of S1. John’s College but left Cambridge in 1952 to become Professor of English in the University of California at Berkely. He is married and has two children.
PALMER, Maurice Richard, (1949-54) studied at Norwood Technical College, London for two years to obtain his P.M.G. Radio Certificate (1st Class) and his M.O.T. Radar Certificate. He is at present employed by the Elder Dempster Line as a Radio Officer on the M.V. Sckondi.
LOTI, Roger Stuart. (1938-45) went to University College, Exeter in 1945 on an army university short course and then to Sandhurst, being commissioned in the Royal Signals in 1948. From 1953-56 he was at the Royal Military College of Science, Shrivenham and then was an instructor at the School of Signals for three years. He has been stationed in Egypt, Malta and is at the moment a Major in Cyprus. He is married and has two children.
JARVIE, Ian Charles, (1949-55) entered the London School of Economics in 1955 and took his B.Sc.(Econ.) in 1958. He now has his Ph.D. and has been tutor in Philosophy at L.S.E. since October, 1960. He is a member of the Bow Group. Recently he was appointed to a Lectureship in Philosophy at Hong Kong University.
CROUCH, Derek Frank, (1941-48) after serving as a private in the R.A.M.C. went to Guy’s Hospital in 1951. He now holds the qualifications L.D.S., R.C.S.(Eng.), B.D.S.(Lond.). He was a House Surgeon at Guy’s for six months and then was in private practice as an assistant at Ashford. He started his own practice at Canterbury in 1958 and does some work for the Kent Education Committee. He is married and has a son and daughter.
LEGG, Ernest Frank, (1923-28) served in the R.A.F. from 1929-53 becoming a Technical Warrant Officer in the Signals Branch. Since then he has worked for A. C. Cossor Ltd. and the De Havilland Propellor Co. At the moment he is an Area Sales Representative for Elliott Automation Ltd. He is an associate of the British Institute of Radio Engineers and an Associate of the British Society of Commerce.
LANGFORD, Richard David, (1939-46) was a radar mechanic in the R.A.F. from 1946-48. Then he went to Southampton University, where he gained his B.Sc. (Special Chemistry) in 1951. For ten years he has been a chemist with I.C.I. Ltd., Dyestuffs Division and is now on the Production Managers Staff at Division H.Q. and is responsible for the manufacture of rubber chemicals and synthetic resins. He is married and has three children.
TAYLOR, Leslie James, (1917-22) worked as a solicitor’s clerk in both Dover and Scarborough for four years before beginning theological training in London. After ordination in 1930 he was appointed to the Belgian Congo service of the Baptist Missionary Society, being Field Secretary (Belgian Congo and Angola) from 1951-59. In 1959 he was appointed West Africa Secretary of the British and Foreign Bible Society with his H.Q. at Lagos, Nigeria.
WESTMANCOTT, Colin Bernard, (1953-54) joined the staff of the Midland Bank at Deal on leaving School. In 1958 he transferred to the Dover Branch where he became First Cashier in 1960.
DAMPIER, Geoffrey Robert William, (1945-48) became a ledger clerk with Warren and Reynolds at Dover. He served two years National Service in the R.A.F. from 1949-51 and then became a sales representative with Roneo Ltd., in London. In April last year he became a senior sales represntative with Constructors Ltd., of Birmingham. He was married in 1953 and now lives at Tonbridge, Kent.
MAYNARD, John William, (1948-53) worked at the Post Office Research Station from 1953-55. In 1955 he entered the Royal Military College of Science, Shrivenham, on a Ministry of Supply Studentship. He was awarded the London University External B.Sc.(Eng.) with 1st Class Honours in 1958, before becoming a Scientific Officer in the P.O. Research Branch. In 1960 he entered Ripon Hall, Oxon. to train for the C. of E. Ministry, and is to be ordained shortly.
WILSON, Christopher John, (1951-58) entered the Royal Navy in December, 1958 on a 12 year commission as a pilot. He received his “wings” in June, 1960 and was commissioned on the carrier H.M.S. Victorious in January last year. At the moment he is stationed in the Middle East with 803 Squadron.
NEWMAN, Hugh Charles, (1922-32) who as Head Prefect made a speech of welcome to Prince George at the opening of the new school in 1932 has since 1946 been with Incandescent Ltd., industrial furnace builders and this year was elected to the Board. He is married and has one son and one daughter.
WEBSTER, Norman (1935-40) attended Tunbridge Wells School of Art from 1940-43, and then, after seeing service with the Navy in the Middle and Far East as a radar operator, he took up his previously won Royal Exhibition to the Royal College of Art, South Kensington gaining in 1949 the Diploma of the School of Engraving of that College. That same year he was appointed Instructor in Etching and Engraving at Leeds College of Art, a post he still holds. In 1951 he was elected an Associate of the Royal Society of Painter Etchers and Engravers.
KNIGHT, George Alfred, (1913-16) who was one of the first four section sergeants when the Cadet Corps was formed joined Canterbury Motor Co. Ltd., in 1916 as an apprentice. The company was taken over by Rootes Ltd., in 1934 and in 1942 he became General Manager, a post he still holds.
STEGGLES, Leslie Reginald, (1945-48) is now an executive officer with the U.K. Atomic Energy Authority at Harwell. He was married in 1953 and has four children.
SAYERS, Maurice George, (1939-42) was admitted Solicitor of Supreme Court on 1st June, 1961. Having been Deputy Clerk to Dover Magistrates’ Court he has now entered private practice with Messrs. Stilwell and Harby, Dover.
BARTY-GOLDFINCH, James George, (1945-52) entered the Civil Service as a Clerical Officer in the War Department at Shorncliffe in 1952. After National Service in the Royal Navy he returned to his former job. In January, 1956 as an Executive Officer he was posted to Government Communications Headquarters, Cheltenham. He is now in the Government Communications Office. Cyprus.